Tuesday 16 September 2014

Leek Embroiderers and LK Sewing Academy

Since Friday my left hip and lower back have seized up and i was struggling to move, asked my OH if he would take me out for a drive as sometimes the vibration from the road helps ease back pain even though it exacerbates the Fibromyalgia, i really can’t win.

The lovely Lorna Knight had tweeted about the Leek Embroiderers having their work out on show so off we went to Ipstones and St Leonards church to see their embroidery. I had a lovely surprise when we arrived as Lorna was there talking the visitors through the embroidered pieces and we managed to have a chat. Thank you Lorna for a wonderful time, so glad you tweeted, wouldn’t have known to visit so keep up the good work lol.

20140914_152515

This is the view from where you can get a wonderful cuppa and a cake for £1. The ceiling has been taken back to it’s original wood, there are hand embroidered kneeling cushions and the main attractions are close to the Alter.  Didn’t take any images of the embroidered pieces but their beauty is in my memory bank along with some of the amazing couching and real gold thread techniques that were used at the time.

The pieces are very delicate, the main Alter piece is being sent away for restoration, the church is trying to raise just over £2000 to make this happen.

20140914_152657

Have to say thank you to the ladies who baked the most wonderful cakes and especially to the lady who makes the jam, managed to get a jar of greengage which is my favourite and very hard to find.

20140914_153050

Tried this on some seeded bread with butter and wafer thin ham, it is mouth wateringly wonderful…

20140914_161328

On the DLP prompt this week we are to use feathers, isn’t this a fantastic stained glass window and there is a feather being held. Whilst looking outside the church we found four real feathers which i plan to add to my journal.

20140914_161555 

The full stained glass window.

20140914_165119

An image for my background textures, this is the stone the church is built from.

20140914_165105

View of the graveyard attached to the church. The church and grounds are well taken care of, here are some of the flowers that are still growing around the building.

20140914_164905

20140914_164925

20140914_164935

20140914_165014

20140914_165028 crop

20140914_165056crop

On the way home we drove to Lorna’s new Studio and had a look around.

20140914_171041-1

The building is beautiful, loving the colour of the bricks that have been used and the colour of the paintwork is a fabulous grey.

20140914_170852

View from the approach to the Sewing Academy.

20140914_171046

View from the front of the Studio and the cottage that Lorna lets next door.

20140914_170946

A sneak peek into the Studio from the window outside, there is loads of room to play.  Would highly recommend attending any of Lorna’s workshops, she is patient, very knowledgeable and you will come away with more knowledge than you bargained for.

Well, that was our day out on Sunday. The good news is that my back felt better when we were driving but not so good when i had to get out of the car. Am no better and waiting to see the GP, meanwhile i can think of ways to use some of the techniques used by the Leek Embroiderers in my sewing projects.

Thanks for dropping by.

xxx

14 comments:

  1. amazing impressions! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your day out, fabulous photos. Hope your back is feeling better.
    Take care.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds a great trip, love the photos. I hope the pain eases soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds like a fantastic day out! Hope your back improves soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you poor thing,I hope your back eases soon,nothing worse then constant pain is there. Loving the tea and cake for £1.....seriously impressed with that :))

    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, your photos are very beautiful, thank you for the share! And thanks a lot for your last lovely comment too. I hope your back is better as it can be very painful! :( Coco xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your back and hope it improved with the incredible outing shared by you and your husband! The photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a wonderful tour! Hope your back/hip are better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about your pain. I totally empathize, as I have a scoliosis in two places in my spine, which can be miserable. Never mind that though! Your day sounds wonderful! That stained window is gorgeous! I love the feather so much! We have a greengage tree in the garden and I love the fruit. The jam must be delicious. I just make tarts and greengage brandy with ours. Thank you for sharing such beauty and I do hope your pain is soon less acute. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely trip; thank you for taking us along. I hope you got some help at the GP for your back. :D (if you're not still waiting for an appt that is)
    Thank you for your lovely comments on my painted cup and my tag. I am enjoying learning all this drawing and painty stuff. Thank oyu :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your trip - thank you for sharing all this impressions with us! Sorry for your bad back.. I struggle also a bit just now ... the worst are the nights turning in bed... oh my gosh feel sometimes as I were 100 years old... but it's just based on my female cycle ... nearly every month the same for me...instead of pain on the front it descends to my back - I really hope that this will end up with the menopause but I am afraid that than there will come other little ailments!
    That Life!

    Hope you feel better soon!
    Thank you for always let such nice comments for me on my blog!
    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you enjoyed your day out, it sounds wonderful! Lovely photos!
    Hope your GP can help with some pain relief.
    Gentle hugs,
    Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Moh, I couldn't find an email so I could answer what you asked on my blog. AB stands for altered book. T Stands For Tuesday is a blog hop run by Elizabeth aka alteredbooklover.blogspot.com. She also taught a free course on making an altered book that she keeps up in her sidebar.

    I'll check out the crochet blog you mentioned--thanks so much!

    LOL, I'm starting early so I can hopefully build up my inventory and still do the challenges. I also just got an order for 3 beaded sun catchers--talk about more stress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds you and OH had a fab time despite your pain, although I know it couldn't have been easy for you. What a fab distraction though talking to lorna. It's great to talk to others who share an interest especially when they have so much knowledge to share.

    It's great post full of interest and displays some lovely photos thank you for sharing.cxxx

    ReplyDelete